Monday, March 23, 2009

Fun Music Class today

I was a substitute teacher today for about 10 5-8 year-olds at our homeschool co-op. I taught music. Before you laugh, I didn't sing much. We had a lot of fun. We found out some interesting facts about Johann Sebastian Bach. I never realized how funny the name Bach is until I told several 5 and 6 year-olds his name and had chicken noises for the rest of the class period. But anyway, we read a picture book (fantastic series) called Bach's Goldberg Variations by Anna Hardwell Celenza that comes with a CD. We then used the CD to play musical chairs which sounds mundane but was fun because, if you don't know about Bach's Goldberg Variations, it has 30 variations (thus the name) on it's first aria. There are dances, and difficult pieces, and gigs, and cannons and even a musical riddle. So for each round of musical chairs we listened to a different type of music. The kids were very excited and even shared their favorite variation. I love it when ideas come together.
If you want to parts of the piece check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_Variations#Variatio_1._a_1_Clav.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thank you for stopping to comment on my post at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee the other day. I'm so glad that some of the suggestions will be helpful to you.

Blessings to you!