Thursday, August 28, 2008

DG's Birthday and Cakes



Today was DG's 6th Birthday. Yes, yes I know there are only three candles. After staying up till 1 AM to make the cake, at 2:30 today when I went to get the candles out of the cabinet. I realized we only had three candles and pink at that. I felt horrible. He said, "Just light them twice."

I have tried my hand at decorating cakes. This is the worst one yet. It is in the shape of a book. Before I could even decorate it the entire top stuck in the pan and would only come out in pieces.

When I went to ice it, I said a prayer to St. Zita, added a nice amount of milk to the icing recipe and it came out amazingly well. Then to the decorating. I did the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, as DG has an affinity for Narnia. It was all free hand and looked like he decorated it.

But as a child often points out... "Mom this is the neatest cake yet." I reminded him of the dragon cake that took about 3 hours to assemble and decorate.

To which he says, "Oh right, this is right under the dragon cake."
Why do I try so hard????

1 comment:

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Dominic!!!

Wow, 6 years - I remember when you were pregnant with him - he was the first "Frassati Baby!"

You're doing a good job, Mama!