Friday, August 22, 2008

Amazing Grace at a Funeral

Today we went to an amazing funeral of an amazing man, Lucious Newsom. I have linked a story about the funeral below. The funeral brought up so many good conversations and ideas. One that struck me was that I have always struggled, as a Catholic, when you go to a funeral and they say, "We know the deceased is heaven (a better place...) but with Lucious it was hard to think otherwise. As the priest who gave the homily today said (one of the 21 - that I counted), when he was thinking about which gospel they could read at the Mass all seemed to apply (When I was hungry, you gave me to eat..., go and sell all you have and give to the poor, whoever denies himself takes up his cross and follows me, those who leave mother and father, husband or wife, brother, sister will inherit 100 fold, the good Samaritan, the father in the prodigal son who forgives the man who shoots up his house and on and on and on). And I think, we should all strive when we are laid to rest to know with absolute certainty but humble submission to the will of God, that we are going to be with the Lord because we always have been.
http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8885190#

No comments: